The holy Monastery of St. Marina is located in the village of Apoikia and is the most famous monastery in Andros. The eventful story of the Monastery and the miraculous picture of St. Marina makes it very popular for believers and tourists.
It was founded in 1325 AD and despite the attacks of the Pirates in the 16th century; with the help of the Monk Sofronios the Peloponisian who sold all of his fortune to help it was transformed to a female monastery and was reconstructed.
The monastery was tested again at 1833 AD in the era of King Othon who ordered the closure of all the monasteries and put in auction the picture of St Marina. Fortunately the picture was saven by the Empirikos family but the Monastery was again destroyed.
In 1975 AD the Bishop Andreas Dorotheos ordered the reconstruction of the monastery that is still in progress but it is approachable by the tourists.